Monday, January 24, 2011

Ready. Or, not.

A bulk of paper-clips in several colorsImage via WikipediaI don't watch television, but I hear that a new genre of reality show about hoarders is becoming popular.

Geez. "Real Simple" on the rack at the check out stand and t.v. shows documenting the prevalence of people with too many things. High unemployment in a slow-to-recover economic recession and footage showing over-consumption. Constant change and increasing pace of life that would seem to preclude extraneous baggage (of any sort) and basements filled with mountains of stuff.

Hmnmm. What does that say about this era?

I know. Most people watching hoarder shows probably don't attach any sociological or political significance to the behavior. Fine. Then on a very practical level, I say there are good reasons for hanging onto stuff. Somewhere in the subconscious mind, a future need has been marked. What I'm rationalizing here is my own style of hoarding. But I don't call it hoarding. I call it stocking up, being prepared.

Take, for example, my several large boxes of office supplies. For years, September back-to-school sales drew me like an ant to honey. I would purchase all sorts of  writing and highlighting implements, notebooks of various sizes, tacks, tape, glitter, glue, scissors, binder clips, paper clips (oooooh - love the GOLD ones!), clipboards, staplers, staple removers, stamps, ink, erasers, rulers, tabs, folders, portfolios, envelopes, carbon paper (yes!), and so on. I even have a sporty little Dyno label maker and colored tapes to go with it.

So, when I began preparing for my education venture, I lugged out the boxes and went "shopping" in the privacy of my own home. Having what I need when I need it (some purchased at 1995 prices, yet) is quite satisfying. Sure, more than once I forgot the exact contents of the boxes. Sure, my stash might be considered a hoard. You know what, though? What those boxes have consumed in floor space is nothing compared to what they save me in fuel and time. At 2011 prices.

Therefore,

I'm not a hoarder.

I'm ready.

###



Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment